هارتفورد ، كونيتيكت

هارتفورد ، كونيتيكت

هارتفورد ، عاصمة ولاية كونيتيكت ومقر مقاطعة هارتفورد ، هي على رأس الملاحة على نهر كونيتيكت ، على بعد 38 ميلاً من لونغ آيلاند ساوند. لقد ازدهرت من صيد الحيتان وتطورت لتصبح أهم مركز تأمين في البلاد. أقام المهاجرون الهولنديون مركزًا تجاريًا حيث يتدفق نهر بارك إلى كونيتيكت في عام 1623 ، وقاموا ببناء حصن هناك في عام 1633. بعد فترة وجيزة ، في عام 1635 ، بدأ المستوطنون في الوصول من نيو تاون (لاحقًا كامبريدج ، ماساتشوستس). في عام 1637 ، أطلقوا على المكان اسم هارتفورد ، بعد هيرتفورد ، مسقط رأس الإنجليزية لأحد المستوطنين الأوائل. تم تبني النظام الأساسي ، وهو أول دستور مكتوب في المستعمرات الأمريكية ، في عام 1639 ، وفي عام 1662 ، تم جمع مستعمرات كونيتيكت ونيو هافن معًا تحت اسم كونيتيكت. كانت هارتفورد عاصمة منذ ذلك الحين ، على الرغم من أنها تشاركت الدور مع نيو هافن ، كونيتيكت من 1701 إلى 1873. في عام 1687 ، حاول الحاكم أندروس إزالة ميثاق هارتفورد ، ولكن من المفترض أنه كان مخفيًا عنه في ميثاق أوك. مركز الحركة الفيدرالية. في عام 1814 ، عُقدت اتفاقية هارتفورد للاحتجاج على عدد من السياسات الوطنية ، وكانت أول بوليصة تأمين معروفة بإصدارها في هارتفورد من قبل شركة هارتفورد للتأمين ضد الحريق في عام 1794. نمت صناعة التأمين حتى منتصف القرن العشرين ، وكان هناك أكثر من 40 شركة تأمين مقرها في هارتفورد ، وانتقل صامويل إل كليمنس ، المعروف باسم مارك توين ، إلى هارتفورد في عام 1871 ، بعد فترة وجيزة من زواجه. كان منزل مارك توين منزله حتى وفاته في عام 1910. ليس بعيدًا عن منزل هارييت بيتشر ستو ، حيث عاشت مؤلفة كتاب "كوخ العم توم" من عام 1873 حتى وفاتها. تم عقد مبنى الكابيتول بولاية كونيتيكت في يناير 1879. وكان هذا أعلى بكثير من التقدير الأولي البالغ 900 ألف دولار ، ويرجع ذلك جزئيًا إلى انهيار القبة الأولى وكان لابد من استبدالها. يقع مبنى الكابيتول داخل حديقة بوشنل في قلب مدينة هارتفورد ، وأبرز مركز ثقافي في هارتفورد هو Wadsworth Atheneum ، وهو أول متحف عام للفنون في أمريكا ، ويمتد مبنى كامل في المدينة ويضم مكتبة Auerbach Art ، ونصب Colt Memorial ، ونصب Morgan Memorial. . تم اعتماد أول معهد للتعليم العالي في هارتفورد باسم كلية واشنطن في عام 1812 ويعرف الآن باسم كلية ترينيتي.


هارتفورد ، كونيتيكت - التاريخ

كان يوم الخميس السادس من يوليو عام 1944 يومًا شديد الحرارة في ولاية كونيتيكت. في حقل بشارع باربور في هارتفورد ، سعى ما بين ستة وثمانية آلاف راعي إلى صرف انتباههم عن حرارة الصيف من خلال حضور عرض لسيرك Ringling Brothers Barnum & amp Bailey. اجتذب عرض صباحي يضم فنانين من الأرجوحة ومهرجين ومدربين للحيوانات العملاء إلى القمة الكبيرة التي يبلغ طولها 500 قدم تقريبًا. لم يكن لدى أي شخص أي فكرة عن أنهم على وشك القيام بدور في واحدة من أسوأ الكوارث في تاريخ ولاية كونيتيكت.

بعد أداء قام به مروض الأسد الفرنسي ، اتخذ ألفريد كورت ، فنانو الأرجوحة المشهورون ، جريت والينداس ، مناصبهم داخل القمة الكبيرة وبدأوا روتينهم. في هذه الأثناء ، خارج الخيمة (كما تقول القصة المقبولة على نطاق واسع) ، أشعلت سيجارة ملقاة بلا مبالاة بالقرب من حاجز مرحاض الرجال حريقًا صغيرًا. وسرعان ما انتشر الحريق ، بمجرد ملامسته قماش الخيمة ، ويرجع ذلك إلى حد كبير إلى مقاومة القماش المائي من خلال استخدام شمع البارافين المخفف بالبنزين.

موقع عربات السيرك بجانب الأكشاك المحترقة ، يوليو 1944 هارتفورد كورانت صورة الملف

لاحظ أحد الممثلين الحريق وصرخ ، "الخيمة # 8217 تحترق!" سرعان ما جعل قائد الفرقة ميرل إيفانز موسيقاه يقتحمون أغنية "Stars and Stripes Forever" ، وهي إشارة محددة مسبقًا لموظفي السيرك تفيد بأن شيئًا ما كان خطأً فظيعًا.

عندما وصلت ألسنة اللهب إلى ارتفاع 100 قدم ، ركض الرعاة المذعورين إلى المخارج ، فقط ليجدوا العديد منهم مسدودًا بأقفاص للحيوانات أثناء نقلهم إلى الخيمة وخارجها. تشكلت اختناقات عند المخارج حيث بدأت بقع من القماش المحترق تمطر على الحاضرين في السيرك. بدأ أولئك غير القادرين على الهروب من خلال المخارج المصممة بقطع ثقوب في القماش ليشقوا طريقهم الخاص.

ركض المرشدون وأفراد السيرك الآخرون نحو النيران بدلاء من الماء ، لكنهم كانوا متأخرين. في أقل من 10 دقائق ، اشتعلت النيران من خلال الأعمدة وحبال الدعم ، مما أدى إلى سقوط بقايا القمة الكبيرة التي يبلغ وزنها 19 طناً على أولئك الذين لم يحالفهم الحظ بالهروب بالفعل.

ليتل ميس 1565 وآخرين في الذاكرة في هارتفورد سيرك فاير ميموريال

بحلول الوقت الذي أخمد فيه رجال الإطفاء النيران ، لقي ما يقرب من 170 شخصًا حتفهم. مات معظمهم من التعرض للنيران والدخان ، لكن عددًا كبيرًا تعرض للدهس أيضًا. ربما كانت أشهر ضحايا الحريق طفلة صغيرة بلا اسم. المعروفة باسم Little Miss 1565 (اسم مشتق من الرقم المخصص لها في مشرحة المدينة) ، لا يزال الجدل حول هويتها حتى يومنا هذا. يعتقد البعض أنها فتاة محلية تبلغ من العمر ست سنوات تدعى سارة جراهام ، بينما يعتقد البعض الآخر أنها إليانور إميلي كوك ، فتاة صغيرة من ماساتشوستس.

مهرج مع دلو ، هارتفورد سيركس فاير ، 1944 & # 8211 جمعية كونيتيكت التاريخية

اعتبرت السلطات الحريق حادثًا مروعًا (على الأرجح ناتج عن إلقاء سيجارة بلا مبالاة) ولم تتهم أي شخص مطلقًا بإشعاله ، لكن هذا لم يعفي مسؤولي Ringling Brothers من أي شكل من أشكال الذنب. وواجه أربعة رجال اتهامات بالتقصير. كان من بين هذه الأعمال عدم وجود استعداد للحريق من جانب إدارة السيرك. كشف تحقيق في الحريق أنه في وقت العرض ، كانت طفايات حريق السيرك مدفونة ولا يمكن الوصول إليها في وحدة التخزين ، بينما استقرت سيارات الإطفاء على بعد أكثر من ربع ميل. كما اتهم المحققون السيرك بالفشل في إخطار إدارة إطفاء هارتفورد بوصولهم وعزمهم على الأداء.

في النهاية ، لم يطعن مسؤولو السيرك الأربعة في الاتهامات وأمضوا قرابة عام واحد في السجن قبل أن يتلقوا العفو في النهاية. بالإضافة إلى ذلك ، وافق السيرك على دفع ما يقرب من 5 ملايين دولار كتعويض لأسر الضحايا.

حدث تطور مثير للاهتمام في القصة بعد ست سنوات. ألقت الشرطة في أوهايو القبض على روبرت ديل سيجي لإشعاله عددًا من الحرائق في عام 1950. وتحت استجواب مكثف ، اعترف سيجي ، وهو موظف سابق في السيرك كان يعمل في أداء عام 1944 في هارتفورد ، بإشعال النار ، إلى جانب الحرائق في مين ونيو هامبشاير و حتى لارتكاب أربع جرائم قتل. نقلت السلطات سيجي (الذي ادعى أن شخصية شبح أمريكي أصلي يركب حصانًا ملتهبًا أخبره أن يبدأ الحرائق) إلى مستشفى الدولة لعلاج الفصام المصحوب بجنون العظمة. بعد سنوات ، تخلى Segee عن اعترافه.

نتيجة لحريق هارتفورد سيركس عام 1944 ، سنت ولاية كونيتيكت لوائح جديدة صارمة للسلامة من الحرائق للعروض العامة. في تموز (يوليو) 2005 ، شهد موقع حريق عام 1944 ، الذي أصبح الآن حقلًا صغيرًا خلف مدرسة ويش في هارتفورد ، تكريس نصب تذكاري لضحايا الأحداث المأساوية في ذلك اليوم.


الصور القديمة والصور والإعلانات والبطاقات البريدية من هارتفورد ، كونيتيكت ، الولايات المتحدة الأمريكية


هارتفورد ، كونيتيكت ، الولايات المتحدة الأمريكية

1888 بنادق مجلة كولت البرق
شركة كولت لتصنيع الأسلحة النارية ، هارتفورد ، كونيتيكت

وجدت في متحف The Way It Was ، فيرجينيا سيتي ، نيفادا
الإعلانات


هارتفورد ، كونيتيكت ، الولايات المتحدة الأمريكية

دمينغ وجوندلاخ ، الجواهريون والبصريات ، 20 ستيت ستريت ، هارتفورد ، كونيتيكت.
الإعلانات


هارتفورد ، كونيتيكت ، الولايات المتحدة الأمريكية

وم. H. Wiley & Son، Hartford، Conn.

مجلة بيت السيدات
مارس 1898
الإعلانات


هارتفورد ، كونيتيكت ، الولايات المتحدة الأمريكية

شركة هارتفورد لأعمال المطاط ، هارتفورد ، كونيتيكت.

مجلة بيت السيدات
مارس 1898
الإعلانات


هارتفورد ، كونيتيكت ، الولايات المتحدة الأمريكية

تم العثور على 5 ٪ من أنابيب النيكل الفولاذية فقط في Columbia Bicycles
شركة البابا فيبكو ، هارتفورد ، كونيتيكت.

مجلة بيت السيدات
أبريل 1898
الإعلانات


هارتفورد ، كونيتيكت ، الولايات المتحدة الأمريكية

مركز دفن الأرض القديم ، 1898

المدن التاريخية في نيو إنجلاند. (1898). المملكة المتحدة: أبناء جي بي بوتنام.
تصوير


هارتفورد ، كونيتيكت ، الولايات المتحدة الأمريكية

مبنى الكابيتول 1898

المدن التاريخية في نيو إنجلاند. (1898). المملكة المتحدة: أبناء جي بي بوتنام.
تصوير


هارتفورد ، كونيتيكت ، الولايات المتحدة الأمريكية

الشارع الرئيسي ، 1898

المدن التاريخية في نيو إنجلاند. (1898). المملكة المتحدة: أبناء جي بي بوتنام.
تصوير


هارتفورد ، كونيتيكت ، الولايات المتحدة الأمريكية

تمثال إسرائيل بوتنام 1898

المدن التاريخية في نيو إنجلاند. (1898). المملكة المتحدة: أبناء جي بي بوتنام.
تصوير


هارتفورد ، كونيتيكت ، الولايات المتحدة الأمريكية

دار الدولة القديمة ، الآن City Hall ، 1898

المدن التاريخية في نيو إنجلاند. (1898). المملكة المتحدة: أبناء جي بي بوتنام.
تصوير


هارتفورد ، كونيتيكت ، الولايات المتحدة الأمريكية

تطل عبر نهر كونيتيكت باتجاه مبنى المسافرين ، هارتفورد ، كونيتيكت.
بطاقة بريدية


هارتفورد ، كونيتيكت ، الولايات المتحدة الأمريكية

فندق بوند ، هارتفورد ، كون.

"فندق Bond هو فندق تاريخي ، تم بناؤه على مرحلتين في عامي 1913 و 1921 ، في وسط مدينة هارتفورد بولاية كونيتيكت من قبل صاحب الفندق هاري إس بوند. يقع بالقرب من حديقة بوشنيل ، وكان يعتبر من أروع الفنادق في هارتفورد. اقرأ المزيد.

بطاقة بريدية


التاريخ المبكر لمقاطعة هارتفورد ، كونيتيكت

كانت مقاطعة هارتفورد واحدة من أربع مقاطعات أصلية في ولاية كونيتيكت تأسست في 10 مايو 1666 ، بموجب قانون صادر عن محكمة كونيتيكت العامة.

كما تم تأسيسها في عام 1666 ، كانت مقاطعة هارتفورد تتألف من مدن وندسور ويذرسفيلد وهارتفورد وفارمنجتون وميدلتاون. أُدرجت "جزيرة الثلاثين ميلاً" المشار إليها في القانون التأسيسي باسم مدينة هادام في عام 1668. وفي عام 1670 ، تم إنشاء مدينة سيمسبري ، وامتدت مقاطعة هارتفورد إلى حدود ماساتشوستس. في أواخر القرن السابع عشر إلى أوائل القرن الثامن عشر ، تم إنشاء عدة مدن أخرى وإضافتها إلى مقاطعة هارتفورد: واتربري في عام 1686 (تم نقلها إلى مقاطعة نيو هافن في عام 1728) ، وويندهام في عام 1694 (تم نقلها إلى مقاطعة ويندهام في عام 1726) ، والخليل في عام 1708 (تم نقلها إلى مقاطعة نيو هافن في عام 1728). إلى مقاطعة تولاند في عام 1785) وكوفنتري في عام 1712 (تم نقلها إلى مقاطعة ويندهام في عام 1726) وليتشفيلد في عام 1722 (تم نقلها إلى مقاطعة ليتشفيلد في عام 1751).

في عام 1714 ، تم وضع جميع الأراضي غير المدمجة الواقعة شمال مدينتي كوفنتري وويندهام في شمال شرق ولاية كونيتيكت إلى حدود ماساتشوستس تحت ولاية مقاطعة هارتفورد. تم إنشاء مقاطعة ويندهام في عام 1726 ، مما أدى إلى خسارة مقاطعة هارتفورد لمدن ويندهام وكوفنتري ومانسفيلد (تأسست عام 1702) وآشفورد (تأسست عام 1714). تم نقل شمال غرب ولاية كونيتيكت ، الذي تم وضعه في الأصل تحت الولاية القضائية لمقاطعة نيو هافن في عام 1722 ، إلى مقاطعة هارتفورد بحلول عام 1738. تم تشكيل كل شمال غرب كونيتيكت لاحقًا باسم مقاطعة ليتشفيلد الجديدة في عام 1751. وفي عام 1785 ، تم إنشاء مقاطعتين أخريين في ما كانت الآن ولاية كونيتيكت الأمريكية: تولاند وميدلسكس. أدى هذا في الغالب إلى المدى الحديث لمقاطعة هارتفورد. في أواخر القرن الثامن عشر وأوائل القرن التاسع عشر ، أدى إنشاء العديد من المدن إلى تعديلات طفيفة في حدود المقاطعة. حدث التعديل النهائي الناتج عن الحدود الحديثة في 8 مايو 1806 ، عندما تم إنشاء مدينة كانتون.


^ تاريخ هارتفورد ، كونيتيكت. احتل تاريخ هارتفورد بولاية كونيتيكت مكانة مركزية في تاريخ ولاية كونيتيكت من أصول الدول إلى ولاية كونيتيكت ..

احتل تاريخ هارتفورد ، كونيتيكت مكانة مركزية في تاريخ ولاية كونيتيكت من أصول الدول إلى الوقت الحاضر ، فضلاً عن التاريخ الأعظم للولايات المتحدة الأمريكية.

  • فيما يلي تسلسل زمني لتاريخ مدينة هارتفورد كونيتيكت بالولايات المتحدة الأمريكية. 1623 تم بناء Fort Hoop بواسطة شركة الهند الغربية الهولندية. 1635 الإنجليزية
  • هارتفورد هي عاصمة ولاية كونيتيكت الأمريكية وكانت مقر مقاطعة هارتفورد حتى حلت ولاية كونيتيكت حكومة المقاطعة في عام 1960
  • إيست هارتفورد هي بلدة تقع في مقاطعة هارتفورد بولاية كونيتيكت بالولايات المتحدة. كان عدد السكان 51252 في تعداد 2010. تقع البلدة على الضفة الشرقية
  • هذه قائمة بالسجل الوطني للأماكن التاريخية في قوائم هارتفورد كونيتيكت والغرض منها أن تكون قائمة كاملة بالممتلكات
  • ويست هارتفورد هي بلدة في مقاطعة هارتفورد ، كونيتيكت الولايات المتحدة ، على بعد 5 أميال 8.0 كم غرب وسط مدينة هارتفورد ، كان عدد السكان 63268 نسمة في عام 2010
  • هارتفورد الكبرى هي منطقة تقع في ولاية كونيتيكت الأمريكية وتتركز في عاصمة الولاية هارتفورد وهي تمثل المنطقة الإحصائية الموحدة الوحيدة
  • عمدة هارتفورد كونيتيكت ، انتماءاتهم الحزبية السياسية ، وتواريخ توليهم المنصب ، بالإضافة إلى معلومات أخرى. تحولت مدينة هارتفورد
  • كانت اتفاقية هارتفورد عبارة عن سلسلة من الاجتماعات من 15 ديسمبر 1814 إلى 5 يناير 1815 ، في هارتفورد كونيتيكت بالولايات المتحدة ، حيث كانت نيو إنجلاند
  • محطة هارتفورد يونيون هي محطة القطار الرئيسية في هارتفورد كونيتيكت بالولايات المتحدة. يقع مبنى المحطة التاريخي بالقرب من مبنى State Capitol
  • إن أحياء هارتفورد كونيتيكت في الولايات المتحدة متنوعة وتاريخية. وسط المدينة هو المنطقة التجارية الرئيسية في هارتفورد. إنه موقع
  • تم الانتهاء من بناء Old State House عام 1796 في Hartford Connecticut ويعتقد عمومًا أنه تم تصميمه من قبل المهندس المعماري الأمريكي الشهير Charles Bulfinch
  • تقع مقبرة سيدار هيل في هارتفورد كونيتيكت في 453 شارع فيرفيلد. تم تصميمه من قبل مهندس المناظر الطبيعية Jacob Weidenmann 1829 1893 who
  • هارتفورد كورانت هي أكبر صحيفة يومية في ولاية كونيتيكت الأمريكية ، وغالبًا ما تُعرف بأنها أقدم صحيفة تُنشر باستمرار.
  • The Hartford Wolf Pack هو فريق هوكي الجليد المحترف ومقره في Hartford Connecticut ، وهو عضو في American Hockey League AHL يلعبون به.
  • شارع في وسط مدينة هارتفورد كونيتيكت تم بناؤه في عشرينيات القرن التاسع عشر وفقًا لتصميم مدينة إيثيل ، وهو أحد أقدم الأمثلة المعروفة للهندسة المعمارية القوطية.
  • الوزير الأول لكامبريدج ، ماساتشوستس ، أحد أوائل المستوطنين ومؤسسي كل من مدينة هارتفورد وولاية كونيتيكت واستشهد به
  • مبنى هارتفورد البلدي ، المعروف أيضًا باسم هارتفورد سيتي هول ، هو مبنى تاريخي من الفنون الجميلة يقع في 550 Main Street في Hartford Connecticut
  • أبرشية هارتفورد هي كنيسة خاصة بالطقوس اللاتيني في مقاطعتي هارتفورد ليتشفيلد ونيو هافن في ولاية كونيتيكت الأمريكية.
  • مدرسة هارتفورد هي كلية لاهوتية غير طائفية في هارتفورد كونيتيكت هارتفورد تعود أصولها إلى عام 1833 عندما كانت المدرسة الرعوية
  • يقع مقرها الرئيسي في مدينة هارتفورد كونيتيكت التي تحمل الاسم نفسه ، وقد احتلت المرتبة 156th في Fortune 500 في عام 2018. أرباح الشركة هي
  • هي مدينة تقع في مقاطعة هارتفورد بولاية كونيتيكت بالولايات المتحدة. تقع جنوب هارتفورد مباشرة على طول نهر كونيتيكت. سكانها
  • منطقة هارتفورد سبرينجفيلد الكبرى هي منطقة حضرية ومناطق الضواحي المحيطة بها والتي تشمل كلا من الشمال - وسط كونيتيكت والجنوب
  • مقاطعة هارتفورد هي مقاطعة تقع في الجزء الشمالي الأوسط من ولاية كونيتيكت الأمريكية وفقًا لتعداد عام 2010 ، كان عدد السكان 894،141
  • خط هارتفورد هو خدمة سكة حديد للركاب بين نيو هافن ، كونيتيكت وسبرينجفيلد ، ماساتشوستس ، باستخدام نيو هافن سبرينغفيلد المملوكة لشركة أمتراك.
  • كونيتيكت جنوب غرب ولاية كونيتيكت الحكومة المحلية في كونيتيكت مدن في ولاية كونيتيكت مدينة نيو إنجلاند عاصمة ولاية كونيتيكت هارتفورد سيتي
  • يقع في Hartford Connecticut مباشرة عبر الشارع من Connecticut State Capitol. توفر مكتبة الولاية مجموعة متنوعة من المكتبات والمعلومات
  • كان أول المستوطنين الأوروبيين في كونيتيكت من الهولنديين الذين أسسوا مستوطنة صغيرة قصيرة العمر تسمى فورت هوب في هارتفورد عند التقاء
  • كانت هارتفورد تايمز صحيفة يومية بعد الظهر تخدم مجتمع هارتفورد كونيتيكت من عام 1817 إلى عام 1976. كانت مملوكة لعقود من قبل جانيت.
  • Goodwin Park هي حديقة مدينة وملعب جولف يقع في Hartford and Wethersfield ، Connecticut تم افتتاحه للجمهور في عام 1901 ، ويغطي 227 فدانًا 92 هكتارًا.
  • تأسست كلية هارتفورد كونيتيكت في كلية واشنطن عام 1823 كبديل لجامعة ييل ، وهي ثاني أقدم كلية في ولاية كونيتيكت.

يشارك:

تاريخ النشر:

مصدر المقال:

بحث المستخدمون أيضًا عن:

ct hartford، Hartford، hartford، History، city، цирк، хартфорд، area، bridgeport city، bridgeport، хартфорд цирк، ct hartford، Connecticut، Connecticut، History of Hartford Connecticut، Connecticut area، history of hartford، Connecticut

مدينة بريدجبورت.

تاريخ راديو هارتفورد. تغيير الحي في ولاية كونيتيكت من عام 1934 إلى العام الحالي. حي otl. مشروع تاريخ هارتفورد بلاك. بريدجبورت. تاريخ هارتفورد ، كونيتيكت تاريخ المدن في موقع YouTube. حصل صموئيل كولت من مدينة هارتفورد على براءة اختراع لمسدسه الذي يحمل الاسم نفسه في عام 1836 ، ولكن أعظم ابتكاراته كانت إدخال الإنتاج الضخم إلى صناعة الأسلحة النارية. ماهر. منطقة كونيتيكت. CT Jazz History جمعية هارتفورد للجاز. يحتوي مبنى الكابيتول الحكومي المصنوع من الرخام والجرانيت ، الذي اكتمل بناؤه في عام 1879 ، على العديد من الأشياء ذات الأهمية التاريخية ، بما في ذلك شاهد القبر الأمريكي.

هارتفورد - المباني التاريخية في ولاية كونيتيكت.

تاريخ. يمتد تاريخ مكتبات هارتفورد العامة لأكثر من 235 عامًا. يمكننا مكتبة هارتفورد العامة بموجب قانون خاص من الجمعية العامة في ولاية كناتيكيت. هارتفورد ، كونيتيكت. نمت لتصبح واحدة من أكثر المدن ازدهارًا في البلاد ، وبحلول أواخر القرن التاسع عشر ، أصبحت أغنى مدينة في البلاد. الخرائط التاريخية New Hartford CT. احتل تاريخ هارتفورد ، كونيتيكت مكانة مركزية في تاريخ ولاية كونيتيكت من أصول الدول إلى الوقت الحاضر ، فضلاً عن التاريخ الأعظم للولايات المتحدة الأمريكية.

منازل ومواقع تاريخية في هارتفورد كونيتيكت.

7 مايو 2019 صور هارتفورد. شاهد المزيد من الأفكار حول هارتفورد ، التاريخ ، الصورة. حقائق عن موسوعة هارتفورد ، كونيتيكت للأطفال ، كيدل. مرحبًا بكم في موقع الويب الخاص بقسم التاريخ في كلية ترينيتي في هارتفورد ، كونيتيكت. نحتاج أكثر من أي وقت مضى إلى الوعي التاريخي في حياتنا اليومية.

هارتفورد ، متحف كونيتيكت الوطني للتاريخ الأمريكي.

تاريخ. هارتفورد. مقاطعة. كونيتيكت. 1633 1884. جيمس. هاموند. Trumbull تاريخ مقاطعة لا يمكن فصل تاريخها السابق عن تاريخ. هارتفورد ، كونيتيكت: التاريخ والمسرح والحياة الليلية قم بزيارة الولايات المتحدة الأمريكية. العدد: 14 سنة. 2017 г.

جامعة هارت للتاريخ في هارتفورد.

تساعدنا الخرائط القديمة في رؤية جزء من تاريخ مدننا. الخرائط أدناه مؤرخة عام 1874. سيستغرق تحميل كل واحدة من هذه الخرائط بالحجم الكامل دقيقة أو دقيقتين لتحميلها على. متحف تاريخ كونيتيكت هارتفورد. احصل على أحدث أخبار الرعاية الصحية مباشرة في صندوق الوارد الخاص بك. مكاتب مستشفى هارتفورد. 80 Seymour Street Hartford، CT 06102. 200 MY HARTFORD، CT HISTORY أفكار هارتفورد ، التاريخ ، الصورة. حقائق كونيتيكت التاريخية في أودر التسلسلي. 1783 - القاموس الأول ، الذي نشره نوح ويبستر ، المولود في ويست هارتفورد 1784 - أول كلية قانون في.

متحف تاريخ كونيتيكت - مكتبة ولاية كونيتيكت.

جمعية كونيتيكت التاريخية - متحف ومكتبة ومركز تعليمي غير ربحي يحتوي على كتابات وصور فوتوغرافية والمزيد عن تاريخ هارتفورد ، كونيتيكت. النص الكامل للتاريخ الاستعماري لهارتفورد ، أرشيف الإنترنت في كونيتيكت. بدأت قصتنا في عام 1810 - كشركة تأمين ضد الحريق. أول رئيس لشركتنا ، ناثانيال تيري ، بنى شركتنا على الالتزام بمساعدة الآخرين. المباني الأربعة - تاريخ هارتفورد ، كونيتيكت. مرحبًا بكم في مسارات علم الأنساب في ولاية كونيتيكت! خط. دينيس واجنر هو مضيفك في مقاطعة هارتفورد. خط. هدفنا هو مساعدتك على تتبع أسلافك عبر الزمن.

تاريخ هارتفورد كونيتيكت مشروع CTHumanities.

تاريخ مدينة هارتفورد ، كونيتيكت ، الولايات المتحدة الأمريكية. 1614 أبحر التاجر الهولندي ، أدريان بلوك ، فوق نهر كونيتيكت ، وهبط بالقرب من هارتفورد 1633. يوم تاريخ هارتفورد كونيتيكت. المقال التالي مأخوذ من HARTFORD IN HISTORY: A SERIES OF Thomas Hooker ، الذي تدين له ولاية كونيتيكت بأكثر من أي شركة أخرى من بداياتها. التاريخ التذكاري لمقاطعة هارتفورد ، Connecticut.gov. معالجة وتوثيق ونشر تاريخ أحياء هارتفورد اليهودية الكبرى والمحامين والمجتمعات اليهودية في جميع أنحاء ولاية كونيتيكت.

تاريخ متحف الأطفال. متحف الأطفال.

متحف التاريخ الطبيعي في The Pond House في إليزابيث بارك في هارتفورد ، بالاتفاق مع ولاية كونيتيكت ، مركز Roaring Brook Nature. هارتفورد: ثم والآن علمه CT. التقى بشكل غير رسمي مع الطلاب خلال النهار وتذكر الصيف الذي أمضاه في العمل في ولاية كونيتيكت في حقول التبغ القريبة. أول مبنى أكاديمي.

هارتفورد ، كونيتيكت مقدمة للولايات المتحدة.

في الطرف الشمالي من هارتفورد مهاجرون من جورجيا ومهاجرون من أوروبا الشرقية ، للحظة من الزمن التاريخي ، تقاسموا المساحات السكنية على مستوى الشارع. متحف ومكتبة كونيتيكت التاريخية في الصفحة الرئيسية على Facebook. احتل تاريخ هارتفورد ، كونيتيكت مكانة مركزية في تاريخ ولاية كونيتيكت من أصول الدول إلى الوقت الحاضر ، فضلاً عن تاريخها الأعظم. تاريخ أوائل هارتفورد ، مؤسسو CT في هارتفورد. تاريخ أوائل هارتفورد. خريطة هارتفورد ، كونيكتيكت في عام 1640 بحلول الوقت الذي وصل فيه المستوطنون البيض إلى ولاية كونيتيكت في أوائل القرن السابع عشر ، كان الأمريكيون الأصليون يمتلكون ذلك. YMCA Hartford YMCA of Greater Hartford History. التاريخ الاستعماري لهارتفورد الفصل الأول رواد هارتفورد عام 1635 الأسباب التي حركت سكان نيوتاون تحت قيادة.

معالم التاريخ الأحياء هارتفورد ، كونيتيكت.

في عام 1835 ، تولى إيليفاليت تيري قيادة شركة تأمين صغيرة في هارتفورد. في غضون عام واحد ، وبضربة واحدة رئيسية ، حول مدينة. هجرة كبيرة للأمريكيين الأفارقة إلى هارتفورد ، كونيتيكت ، 1910. مرحبًا بكم في متحف تاريخ CT. في متحف تاريخ ولاية كونيتيكت ، ستجد المعروضات التي تتتبع نمو الدولة ودورها في. الخرائط التاريخية ويست هارتفورد. تتمتع جمعية الشبان المسيحية (YMCA) في جريتر هارتفورد بتاريخ طويل وفخور من العمل مع أكبر مزود لرعاية الأطفال عالية الجودة في ولاية كونيتيكت ، حيث تخدم أكثر من 2.600. ذكريات هارتفورد الكبرى: تاريخ فوتوغرافي في القرن التاسع عشر. التاريخ التذكاري لمقاطعة هارتفورد ، كونيتيكت ، 1633 ، 1884 طبعة. بواسطة J. Hammond Trumbull تخيلت من قبل كلارنس ف. جيويت.

تاريخ هارتفورد ، كونيتيكت تاريخ المدن في الولايات المتحدة.

تاريخ هارتفورد ، كونيتيكت. هارتفورد ، كونيتيكت تاريخ الطقس الطقس تحت الأرض. تاريخ قسم شرطة إيست هارتفورد من إعداد الملازم تيم يورجنز. قسم التاريخ كلية ترينيتي. تأسست هارتفورد ، التي سميت على اسم مدينة هيرتفورد الإنجليزية ، في عام 1636. خريطتان منفصلتان ، تم نشرهما في الأصل في التاريخ الاستعماري لهارتفورد بواسطة القس المحلي والإقليمي والوطني للموارد عبر الإنترنت هارتفورد. تاريخ البث الإذاعي والتلفزيوني المقطعي بما في ذلك عمليات الفحص الجوي والصور. WWUH، WTIC، W1XPW، WHCN، Howard Stern، WDRC، WFSB، Pirate Radio. مستوطنة أرض دفن هارتفورد هارتفوردز القديمة. لوحات الاستنساخ متوفرة في غرفة التاريخ المحلي بالمكتبة الرئيسية. أطلس مدينة هارتفورد ، كونيتيكت ، بما في ذلك أيضًا مدينة ويست.

حقائق كونيتيكت التاريخية الصفحة الرئيسية لموقع CT.gov.

Noank Conn. 451. مكان يسكنها هارتفورد. 442- نيو ميلفورد كون 442. نيوتاون كون. 438. مكان مأهول في أكسفورد. 438. ميدلبري كونيتيكت هارتفورد كونيتيكت ، الولايات المتحدة بريتانيكا. هارتفورد ، في الجزء الشمالي الأوسط من الولاية ، هي العاصمة. الولاية مستطيلة الشكل تقريبًا ، مع مسلة تمتد إلى الجنوب الغربي. تاريخنا مدرسة هارتفورد. ينتقل المعهد اللاهوتي في ولاية كونيتيكت إلى هارتفورد وبعد 20 عامًا أعيدت تسميته بمدرسة هارتفورد اللاهوتية.

بينو - لعبة لوحة منطقية تعتمد على التكتيكات والاستراتيجيات. بشكل عام ، هذا هو مزيج من الشطرنج ، لعبة الداما والزوايا. تعمل اللعبة على تطوير الخيال والتركيز وتعلم كيفية حل المهام وتخطيط أفعالهم وبالطبع التفكير المنطقي. لا يهم عدد القطع التي لديك ، الشيء الرئيسي هو كيفية وضعها!


تاريخ عائلة بيسيل

ما يلي من موقع الويب http://foundersofhartford.org.

بحلول الوقت الذي وصل فيه المستوطنون البيض إلى ولاية كونيتيكت في أوائل القرن السابع عشر ، كان الأمريكيون الأصليون يسكنون المنطقة منذ آلاف السنين بالفعل ، كانت كلمة ألغونكوين التي تعني "نهر المد والجزر الطويل" ، quinnetukut ، هي التي أعطت المستعمرة (ولاحقًا الولاية) اسمه.

عاشت قبائل مختلفة ، وكلها جزء من كونفدرالية ألجونكوين الفضفاضة ، في مدينة هارتفورد الحالية أو حولها. وشملت هذه جبال بودانكس ، ومعظمها شرق نهر كونيتيكت ، Poquonocks ، شمال وغرب Hartford the Massacoes ، في منطقة Granby-Simsbury ، قبيلة Tunxis ، في West Hartford و Farmington the Wangunks ، إلى الجنوب و Saukiogs في Hartford نفسها. Saukiog ، أو كما يتم تهجئتها في بعض الأحيان ، Sickaog أو Suckiaug ، كان الاسم الأمريكي الأصلي لهارتفورد.

بعد أن كرز لفترة وجيزة في رعية إيشر في ساري ، أصبح المهندس توماس هوكر حوالي عام 1626 محاضرًا في كنيسة القديسة ماري في تشيلمسفورد ، إسيكس ، حيث ألقى خطابات إنجيلية شديدة. تعرضت هذه المحاضرات الكنسية ، وهي ابتكار للتزمت ، للهجوم في عام 1629 ، وفي عام 1630 تم الاستشهاد بهوكر للمثول أمام محكمة المفوضية العليا. هرب إلى هولندا ، وتنازل عن رباطه ، وهاجر في عام 1633 إلى مستعمرة خليج ماساتشوستس. في نيو تاون (الآن كامبريدج ، ماساتشوستس) ، أصبح راعيًا لشركة من البيوريتانيين الذين وصلوا من إنجلترا في العام السابق متوقعًا انضمامه إليهم ، وقد أطلق عليهم اسم شركة السيد هوكر. لكن هوكر وأنصاره أصبحوا مضطربين ، وفي أكتوبر 1635 قاد مجموعة إلى ولاية كونيتيكت لتسوية هارتفورد ، كونكتيكت حيث خدم كقس حتى وفاته.

يسرد "Adventurer's Boulder" أعلاه ، وهو نصب تذكاري لـ Hartford ، CT ، الأجداد العظماء روبرت داي ، وإدوارد ستيبينز وويليام جودوين من بين 25 رجلاً قاموا بالرحلة مع هوكر.

في هذه الأثناء ، في إنجلترا ، كان وزير بيوريتاني يدعى توماس هوكر يجذب انتباه رئيس أساقفة كانتربري ، الذي قاتل بضراوة ضد المحاولات البيوريتانية لإصلاح الكنيسة الإنجليزية القائمة. في النهاية ، أُجبر هوكر على مغادرة إنجلترا إلى هولندا ، وفي عام 1633 جاء إلى ماساتشوستس هربًا من المزيد من الاضطهاد. هناك ، أصبح أول وزير للكنيسة في نيوتاون ، المعروفة الآن باسم كامبريدج ، ماساتشوستس. كان مساعده صمويل ستون ، الذي وُلِد في هيرتفورد (أو ، كما كان يُكتب في ذلك الوقت ، هارتفورد) ، شمال لندن.

العثور على منطقة بوسطن ضيقة للغاية ، غادر توماس هوكر وحوالي 100 شخص من رعيته ، مع نفس العدد من الماشية ، ماساتشوستس في خريف عام 1635 وسافروا إلى ولاية كونيتيكت ، حيث بدأوا مستوطنة في شمال مستوطنة هولندية صغيرة. أطلقوا في الأصل على منزلهم الجديد نيوتاون ، لكنهم غيروه إلى هارتفورد ، ربما بناءً على اقتراح صمويل ستون ، بعد مسقط رأسه في إنجلترا.

روابط لأسلاف بيسيل الذين كانوا

ويليام جودوين وأمبير إليزابيث وايت - مؤسسا هارتفورد من جانب عائلة أديلايد بوتيل

تأسس مجمع هارتفورد في الأصل كتجمع مُصلح في عام 1636 حيث كان القس توماس هوكر بمثابة القس الأول. كان أعضاء المصلين قد هاجروا سابقًا من إنجلترا إلى ماساتشوستس وأمضوا أربع سنوات هناك قبل مغادرة شرق ولاية ماساتشوستس بعد خلاف مع حكومة ماساتشوستس. (ما يعرف الآن بولاية كونيتيكت كان جزءًا من مستعمرة خليج ماساتشوستس).

يعود تاريخ مقبرة الدفن القديمة المجاورة للمبنى في هارتفورد إلى حوالي عام 1640. يعود تاريخ دار اجتماعات الكنيسة الحالية إلى عام 1807 وهو رابع دار اجتماع يستخدم كمكان للعبادة للمصلين. أُضيف بيت اجتماعات الكنيسة والمقبرة إلى السجل الوطني للأماكن التاريخية في عام 1972. وترتبط الجماعة حاليًا بكنيسة المسيح المتحدة (UCC).

بالإضافة إلى قصص مؤسسي هارتفورد هؤلاء ، هناك العديد من مستوطنين أسلاف هارتفورد أو وندسور الأوائل الذين يستحقون ذكرًا خاصًا:

** بينوني أولكوت ، الجد الخامس الأكبر وأب يونيس أولكوت (الذي تزوج نوح بيسيل المولود عام 1753) عاش في عدة أجزاء مهمة من التاريخ الأمريكي في القرن الثامن عشر الميلادي. وفقًا لموقع Britannica.com ، كانت حرب الملك جورج ، 1744-1748 ، الجزء الأمريكي الشمالي من الحرب الثالثة بين فرنسا وبريطانيا العظمى من أجل السيطرة على أمريكا الشمالية. كانت هناك خلافات حول حدود شمال نيو إنجلاند وحول السيطرة على وادي أوهايو. استخدم كل من الفرنسيين والإنجليز القبائل الهندية الأصلية كجزء من قواتهم. كان الانتصار المهم الوحيد للبريطانيين هو استيلاء نيو إنجلاند على لويسبورغ ، جزيرة كيب بريتون ، في 15 يونيو 1745.

عندما بدأت الحرب ، جندت مستعمرات نيو إنجلاند (التي كانت تعتبر نفسها في الأساس من الإنجليزية) رجالًا للقتال ضد الفرنسيين المنحدرين من كندا.

كان بينوني أولكوت ، المولود في 30 ديسمبر 1716 ، يبلغ من العمر 28 عامًا في الوقت الذي انضم فيه إلى شركة الكابتن إي جرانتز في عام 1745. هذه المعلومات مأخوذة من النقش الموجود على شاهد القبر الخاص ببينوني بأنه كان عضوًا في "النقيب. شركة E. Grant’s 1745. " Benoni was born 30 Dec 1716 Died, 2 Jun 1799. Buried in the Edwards Cemetery, South Windsor, CT. I haven't found any more details of Olcott's military service in 1745, although the major battle in which most of the New England troops participated was the capture of Louisbourg. This was a major victory for the British side and one of the things that convinced the French to eventually agree to end the war.

Thirty years later, Benoni Olcott would also play a role in Connecticut's contributions to the American Revolutionary War. From The History of South Windsor, Connecticut by Lori Jean Kremidas, 1981, we learn that Old East Windsor (now South Windsor) was known as a "provision town" during the Revolutionary War. Deacon Benoni Olcott had charge of supplying arms and ammunition Ebenezer Grant, the merchant, of supplying clothing and Lemuel Stoughton of providing commissariat supplies, beef, pork, and flour to the Continental Army. Since lead was sorely needed by the Army, lead settings of the diamond-shaped panes of glass were taken out of some houses. The meeting house was robbed of its lead window-settings and sash weights. Clock-weights were confiscated, and many clocks at that time were silent “for the duration".

In Henry Reed Stiles’ History and Genealogies of Ancient Windsor, Connecticut the material describing Windsor’s role in the Revolutionary War includes a list of people who sold their personal blankets for use by the revolutionary soldiers. The Connecticut State Archives, Revolutionary War, Vol. 86, contains a list of names of people of Windsor who sold blankets that were collected by Benoni. Olcott also maintained an account book in which is recorded his selling gunpowder for the use of the revolutionary soldiers and other activities, beginning in August 1776, that included “to fetch powder from Hartford,” purchasing paper for gun cartridges, buying foods including rye seed and bowls of toddy for the soldiers, and getting clothing and “blankits” for the soldiers.

In the Spring of 1778, after General Lafayette had abandoned the enterprise of invading Canada, he made his headquarters for a time in South Windsor at the house of Mr. Nathaniel Porter (presumably also a Bissell 3G cousin, descended from John Porter, Jr. of Windsor).

At Lafayette's suggestion, British Hessian prisoners were employed in planting trees along the highway. Among the entertainments of the officers were horseracing and betting. The races began at General Lafayette's house and ended at the Fitch house. The citizens of South Windsor disapproved of these races.

General Lafayette made many short trips to Rhode Island, and Mr. Justus Grant of Wapping was usually with him, The two often wrestled together, with Grant often victorious. However, Lafayette was more adept than Grant at fencing, General Rochambeau's French troops were stationed in South Windsor at the same period as Lafayette. Many balls and parties were given in their honor and the townsmen and ladies attended.

Some evidence of Benoni's role in providing guns to the Americans preparing to fight the British in the Revolutionary War comes from a document that still survives, a receipt showing that Benoni Olcott sold a gun to Ensign Alexander King of the Continental Army.

The transcription of this receipt as best I can provide it appears to be as follows:

"August 15th: 1776 then received of Benoni Olcott one of the Selectmen of East Windsor one gun Purchased for the Colony assessed at Three pounds five shillings to be used in the Continental Army this Summer Campaign and then returned to the Selectmen of East Windsor [this?] Day Received per me. Ens. Alex King"

The other side appears to say, "Alexander King's Rec. for a gun bought for the colony." This part also includes a notation made by or made about "Capt. Robinson."

And who was this Alex King to whom Benoni was selling a rifle? Alexander King was born in East Windsor in December 1749. (As an aside, I can't resist occasionally making these genealogical connections: Alex King's mother is a Bissell 3G third cousin, her name was Kezia Loomis, b. 1715. The Connecticut River Valley was a small community -- Kezia's great-great-grandfather was Joseph Loomis born 1590 in England, the common ancestor with the Bissells. Kezia's mother was Mary Cooley, b. 1685 and Kezia's maternal grandparents were Bissell 8th Great-grandparents Joseph Cooley, b. 1662, and Mary Griswold, b. 1663. So Kezia's a cousin on both sides of her family.)

Alex King served as a soldier during the Revolutionary war. In June, 1776, he was commissioned by Gov. Jonathan Trumbull (the only colonial governor who took up the rebel cause) as ensign of a company raised to join the Continental Army, and was again commissioned Oct. 16, 1777, by Governor Trumbull, as an ensign in the 19th Regiment of Militia. King served in 1776 in Captain Elijah Robinson’s Company in the Northern Department at the Battle of Bunker Hill. He married Abigail Olcott, Eunice Olcott's sister and Benoni's daughter, in May 1781. So when Alex purchased the gun from Benoni, it was from his future father-in-law. Note, too, that Abigail and Eunice's mother Deborah Cooley Olcott was a "Cooley" and so Deborah was a second cousin to Alex.

And for anyone interested, this souvenir of Benoni Olcott's involvement in the Revolutionary War was recently on sale on E-bay for only $350!

In the town history section of James H. Trumbull’s Memorial History of Hartford County , Trumbull writes, “Benoni Olcott was a prominent man upon the east side of the river, both before the town of East Windsor was organized and afterward. The Olcott family was not one of the old Windsor families it belonged rather to Hartford. Benoni Olcott appears to have come when a young man from Bolton to Windsor before the middle of the last century [i.e., mid-1700s]. Mr. Olcott filled many important offices. He was in middle life when the town of East Windsor was organized and his name is conspicuous in all the early records of the town. He was on the board of selectmen he was moderator of town-meetings he was deacon of the old Edwards church. he was largely trusted, and seemed for many years to divide public responsibilities with Mr. Erastus Wolcott."

** Noah Bissell, born 1716 . So, Benoni Olcott's other son-in-law, married to Eunice, was 5th Great-grandfather Noah Bissell born 1753. His father, 6th Great-grandfather (also named) Noah Bissell born 26 Jun 1716, was about the exact same age as Benoni Olcott and like Benoni he served in Grant's Company in King George's War. Note that there were a number of other men from Windsor who were also in Grant’s Company in King George’s War who were very likely Bissell 3G Generation distant cousins, with family names including Ellsworth, Rockwell, Strong and Moore.

** Sixth Great-grandfather Noah's brother was Ensign David Bissell , a Great-uncle born in 1708. He had a son David, born in 1732. One of these two Davids, and I believe it is the David born in 1732 who would be a Bissell first cousin, served in the Crown Point expedition in the 4th Co, 3rd Regiment of the expedition. As noted below, like many, many other Bissell cousins, he also served in the Revolutionary War. Connecticut public records from May 1775 also show the state legislature identifying David Bissell as a Lt. in the Second Company, 4th Conn. Regiment, Revolutionary War. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain’s book about the history of the University of Pennsylvania has a section about Frederick Meade Bissell, a graduate who became an executive with the Pennsylvania Railroad, and refers to his family history and mentions “David Bissell, 3d, who was a member of Captain Benjamin Allyn’s Fourth Company, Third Regiment in the expedition against Crown Point, August 1755 and Lieutenant in the Fourth Connecticut Regiment during the Revolutionary War.”

One other cousin, Daniel Bissell, held the title to "Ore Hill" near Salisbury, CT which proved to be the region's largest iron ore deposit. After Bissell had acquired the rights to the land in 1731 from the state legislature, he sold it to men who developed the iron business in the area.

Ore Hill became the center of a new industry and within five decades, at the time of the Revolutionary War, the area produced one-third of all cannons in the Revolutionary War, outfitted "Old Ironsides" and gave rise to Connecticut's gun trade. This four-pounder cannon pictured above was cast in Salisbury and buried in Danbury in 1777 to save it from the British. It was brought from Danbury to Litchfield and then to Winchester in 1811, it would be buried and recovered at least three more times before being presented to the Winchester Historical Society in 1914.

Andrew Warner and Mary Humphrey

Andrew Warner and Mary Humphrey, are Bissell 3G Great-grandparents in this family on two occasions. First, they are 9th Great-grandparents through their son (and 8th Great-grandfather) Robert Warner, whose daughter Ruth is the Bissell 7th Great-grandmother. More on Ruth Warner and David Bissell below . Second, Andrew and Mary are 10th Great-grandparents in the ancestral line of 3rd Great-grandmother Mercy Ann Searle, through their son Isaac and granddaughter Sarah.

Andrew Warner was born about 1595, the son of John and Mary (Purchas) Warner of Great Waltham, Essexshire, England. He married Mary Humphrey, born 13 Feb 1602, on 5 Oct 1624 in Thaxted, Essex, England. Andrew Warner was a farmer, trader and a malster in Hatfield Broad Oak, Essexshire. Andrew and Mary’s son Robert was born in England in 1630. He arrived in Cambridge, MA in 1633 and was made freeman of the Massachusetts Bay colony on May 14, 1634. His homestead was near the present location of Harvard University. He moved to Hartford with the original proprietors in October 1635, following the Rev. Thomas Hooker from his church in Cambridge, and was a deacon in Rev. Hooker’s Puritan church in Hartford. Many Puritans fled England at this time because of religious persecution under King Charles I, who was an orthodox “high church” Anglican and who was influenced by his wife Queen Henrietta Maria, an orthodox Roman Catholic.

Andrew was one of eight commissioners named in the original 1636 charter from the General Court of Massachusetts creating the Colony of Connecticut. The commissioners had “full power and authority” to lead and govern the new colony. The charter provided in part that the commissioners, “. shall have full power and authoritie to hear and determine in a judicial way. to make & decree such orders, for the present, that may be for the peaceable & quiett ordering the affairs of the said plantacon, bothe in tradeing, planting, building, lotts, militarie dissipline, defensiue in warr [if neede so require], as shall best conduce to the publique good of the same. ” (Original spelling and punctuation preserved.)

Andrew and his second wife Esther (Wakeman) Selden (Mary had died between 1650 and 1657) in 1657 moved to the newly established town of Hadley, Massachusetts. These “removers” and much more about Andrew and his family are described in Settlers of Northampton, Andrew Warner and Mary Humphrey .

Andrew may have worked as a malster in Hadley. A malster would have been someone who selected cereal grains from the growing fields, mainly barley, and modify the barley (soaking it in water to begin germination and create sugar in the barley, which the yeast will turn into alcohol) to allow the brewmaster to be able to make beer from it. Roasting of the barley at that point stops further germination growth and preserves the sugar for later in the brewing process. Andrew may also have been a brewmaster, as often farming, malting and brewing were combined. More about Andrew in general and his brewing activity in Settlers of Northampton and Hatfield.

Most of the information about Andrew Warner in this piece comes from a website written by one of Andrew Warner’s descendants, Mary E. Warner.

Robert Warner, Andrew's son, was born in Hatfield Broad Oak, Essex, England in 1626. He came to Cambridge, MA with his parents in 1633 and to Hartford, CT in 1636. Robert married (first) Elizabeth Grant, in 1654 in Hartford, and then moved to Middletown, CT. and had seven children with her. He married (second) Deliverance Bissell 2 Feb. 1674/75 in Hartford. Deliverance was born 11 Jun 1640 in Dorchester, MA, her parents Richard and Ann Hawes came to Dorchester on the Truelove in 1635. She died June 12, 1718 in Middletown, CT. Deliverance married (first) John Rockwell, Jr. (a Bissell Great-uncle and a member of the family that are ancestors to Bissell Notable Cousin Norman Rockwell) 18 Aug 1662 in Dorchester. Deliverance and John had several children. John died 3 Sep 1673 in Windsor, CT. Deliverance married (second) Robert Warner and they had Ruth Warner, b. Nov. 1675 in Middletown, CT., christened 14 Nov. 1675. Robert was appointed Deputy to the General Court from 1660-1665 and was chosen constable for the town of Middletown in March 1670/1 Robert and Deliverance also had two other children, Bethia in 1680 and Samuel in 1683, as well as her children from her first marriage to Rockwell. Robert Warner died 11 Apr 1690. Deliverance then married (third) Nathaniel Bissell about 1692, when Ruth Warner was 16 years old. Nathaniel's first wife had been Mindwell Moore. Nathaniel and Mindwell Moore’s son David (Bissell 7th Great-grandfather) was born in 1681. Ruth Warner and David Bissell were step-siblings for many years. Ruth married David in Windsor, CT on 24 Feb 1703/04 when she was about 27 and he was about 22, and they had six children. (Most of this information on Robert Warner is from The Society of Middletown First Settlers Descendants, which also indicates many land transactions there in which Robert owned a lot of land, more than 700 acres at his death in 1690.)

Robert Day and Editha Stebbins Day

And her brother Edward Stebbins

Robert Day and Edward Stebbins are two of the original pioneers settling Hartford, coming in October 1635 from Cambridge, Mass. to Connecticut. This group included about 25 men. The Rev. Thomas Hooker and the rest of his congregation arrived from Cambridge the next year, 1636. Edward's sister Editha probably arrived with that 1636 group and married Robert Day, son of Richard Day and Anna Kirby, in about 1636.

"Connecticut River Valley, Claremont, New Hampshire." Painted by German-American Painter Albert Bierstadt (1830-1902) in 1865 or 1868, and now located in the Berkshire Museum, Pittsfield, MA.

Robert Day was born in 1604 in Ipswich, co. Suffolk, Eng. and died before 14 Oct 1648 in Hartford, Hartford Co., CT. The Day name is said to have come from Wales, where it was originally "Dee," the name of a small river in Wales. It is not known exactly when Editha arrived but it likely was not with her brother in 1635 but rather with the congregation that journeyed through the wilderness and arrived in 1636. Editha and Edward Stebbins’ father William Stebbins was born in 1567 in Black Notley, Essex, England. His wife and Editha’s mother Mary (last name unknown) was also from Black Notley. Editha was born in 1613 in Woodham, Eng and died on 24 October 1688 in Springfield, Hampden County, Massachusetts. Her older brother Deacon Edward Stebbins, was born before 24 Feb 1594/95 in Black Notley, Essex, England and died before 19 Aug 1668 in Hartford, CT. Edward Stebbins was in Cambridge, MA in 1633, in Hartford as an original proprietor in 1635, a constable in Hartford in 1638 and deputy of the colony's court various times from 1639 to 1656. He was leather sealer, 1659. (The leather sealer was responsible for assuring, sometimes with a jury, that leather was being made properly according to the colonial laws that governed that trade.)

There doesn't seem to be much information about what Robert did in Hartford. He was chosen "viewer of chimneys and ladder s." A Catalogue of the Names of the First Puritan Settlers of the Colony of Connecticut with the Time of their Arrival in the Colony, and their standing in society, together with their place of residence, as far as can be discovered by the records. , collected from the state and town records, by R.R. Hinman and published, Hartford 1846 tells us,

"As the office of Chimney Viewer is attached to the names of some of the first settlers, I take the liberty of explaining the cause. Immediately after the organization of the town of Hartford as a town, or rather as a company of land holders – a law was enacted that all chimneys should be cleansed by the owner once in a month, upon a penalty provided by law. [The reason was to prevent chimney fires, a common occurrence if a chimney is not properly cleaned and one that would be devastating to a small colonial community.] Therefore that the law should be strictly obeyed and carried out by the inhabitants, for several years a committee of respectable men, (for no others held offices at that day) were appointed to see that all house-holders fully obeyed the law. It was also a law that each house-holder should provide a ladder for his house, where there was not a tree standing by his house which reached within two feet of the top of the chimney. This law also came within the duties of the viewers of chimneys."

Editha was the mother of four children with Robert Day, the oldest being their son Thomas who is the Bissell 3G 9th Great-grandfather. There is more information about Edith under "Ancestors M-Z" at " Edith Stebbins, a founding pioneer of the Connecticut River Valley. " After Robert died in 1648, Editha married second John Maynard, also a founder of Hartford. He died in 1657-8. His will names his wife Editha, her eldest son Thomas Day, youngest son John Day, and daughters Sarah and Mary Day. John Day received the property of Maynard, and it is probably in remembrance of him that he named a son Maynard Day. Maynard gave his dwelling-house and lands in Hartford to Editha, and after her decease to go to her youngest son, John. After Maynard died, Editha married Elizur Holyoke of Springfield, one of the wealthiest men in Massachusetts. He died in King Philip's War.

Captain John Cullick and Elizabeth Fenwick

John Cullick, 9th Great-grandfather, was from Felstead County, Essex, Eng., born about 1610. His first wife died and as far as I can determine, Mary who is the Bissell ancestor was probably born to John's first wife, who died in 1644 she would have been raised by, if not born to, John's second wife, Elizabeth Fenwick, who he married in 1648. More about Elizabeth below, she was from a wealth English family and her brother George Fenwick was prominent in the Connecticut Colony.

The sketch of a colonial witch trial above is included because John Cullick had several different connections to infamous early witch trials in Hartford. A detailed account of Bissell ancestor involvement in these early colonial witch trials is on another page of this website, America's First Witch Trials.

One connection is the trial of Goodwife Bassett , in which Cullick was one of the three judges who convicted her and which resulted in her hanging in 1651. (The picture at right suggests what Bassett's hanging might have looked like, but is in fact a sketch of the 1656 hanging in Boston of a woman named Ann Hibbins.)

Another witch trial connection with Capt. Cullick is that while she was a single young woman, Katherine Harrison worked as a servant to Great-grandfather Cullick in Hartford. Incidentally, her witchcraft trial was in part presided over by Bissell first cousin John Winthrop, who played a major part in the early New England Massachusetts and Connecticut colonies. Note also that Richard Montague, Bissell 10th Great-grandfather, was a witness against Harrison, alleging her unnatural ability to control a swarm of bees.

Elizabeth Fenwick's brother was Colonel George Fenwick (and so a Bissell step great-uncle). Col. Fenwick was a British lawyer and active in setting up the plans for settling Connecticut. He was the agent for two Puritan Lords, Saye and Brooke, and brought his family to Saybrook in 1639. His wife Alice died and he returned to England in 1645, having sold the Saye and Brook property to the Connecticut colony in 1644 after they had given up the idea of emigrating to America. He was a participant in the Second English Civil War and Cromwell's invasion of Scotland in 1650, for which he was made Governor of Leith and Edinburgh Castle in 1650 and Hume Castle in 1651. An inventory of his estate in 1660 showed that he owned black slaves in Connecticut (some early slaves in the colony were Indians who had been defeated in battle by the settlers).

When he returned to England, Fenwick was one of the many judges at the 1649 trial of King Charles I, who after being convicted of treason was executed at the end of January 1649. The next year, F enwick was a participant in the Second English Civil War and Oliver Cromwell's invasion of Scotland in 1650, for which Fenwick was made Governor of Leith and Edinburgh Castle (pictured here) in 1650 and Hume Castle in 1651.

Thomas Olcott & Abigail Porter

Thomas Olcott born 1613 is the Bissell 3G generation 9th Great-grandfather. He was baptised 2 Feb 1613, at St Lawrence Jewry, London, England he died early in 1653/4, on business aboard a ship enroute to Virginia. He was the son of Thomas Olcott and Margaret Hyde. There is more information about Thomas and Margaret on Olcott Family Tree 2.0 . Thomas Olcott born 1613 was at Hartford, CT by 1639 he was made constable in 1640 and his name appears on the Hartford Founders Monument. Thomas was a merchant in shipping trade between New England and Maryland and Virginia, likely much of it in tobacco. The Connecticut River Valley included tobacco as a major crop and it is still grown in Windsor, CT and other nearby areas today, much as it was in colonial times. Thomas' will was written 10 Nov 1653, Hartford, CT, and his estate inventoried at £1,466 (a large sum at the time) Feb. 13, 1654. The primary portion of his estate (£1141.18.0) was in debts receivable, presumably from his trading business. Thomas' will includes many doctrinal statements of the Puritan Christian faith, including the Trinity as the "merciful Father and blessed Redeemer and eternal Comforter," man's original state in "the chains of darkness and the dungeons of sin and misery," election in mercy and love "by a mighty and unresistable power," the resurrection of the body when "both body and soul shall be reunited," "worldly goods which the Lord hath been pleased to lend," and "God's faithfulness and goodness" through "his everlasting covenant."

Thomas and Abigail Porter were married in England. Abigail was born about 1615 in England she died May 26, 1693 in Hartford, CT. Her will was dated Jan. 12, 1692/3, and proved Sep. 7, 1693. It's not clear to me who her father was, see more in notes to Olcott Family Tree Chart 2.0 Timothy Olcott.

William Goodwin & Elizabeth White

William Goodwin, a Founder of Hartford, is a 10th Great-grandfather on the Adelaide Boutelle side of the family. See Adelaide Boutelle Family Tree Chart 2.0 .

William Goodwin's father was Ozias Goodwin, b. 1569 in Bocking, Essex, Eng. he died in 1627, in Bocking. William's brother, also named Ozias, helped organize their trip together to New England. Ozias's wife was Susan Garbrand, who died 17 May 1676 in Farmington, CT. It appears that William was the immigrant ancestor to New England , with his brother, also named Ozias, who was born in 1596. (William's Grandfather was Ozias Goodwin, b. 1543, Lindsell, Essex died 1568, Bocking.)

William Goodwin was born about 1591 he died 11 Mar 1673, in Farmington, CT. His name appears on Hartford's Founders Monument. William settled first at Newtown (Cambridge), MA (the records show he was made a freeman 6 Nov 1632 he was deputy to the General Court May 1634). He was at Hartford, CT in 1636 moved to help settle Hadley, MA in 1659 and moved to Farmington, CT in about 1670. William's first wife was Elizabeth White, born 7 Nov 1616 in Shalford, Essex, England. (See Robert White & Bridget Allgar's Four Daughters ). William married second by Jan. 1669/70 Susan (Garbrand) Hooker (she died 17 May 1676 in Farmington, CT) she was the widow of Rev. Thomas Hooker, leader of the group that settled Hartford in 1636.

With his brother William, Ozias traveled from Bocking, Essex, England as part of the Braintree Co. on the ship Lyon . Ozias Goodwin was instrumental in organizing the voyage, which departed England 22 Jun 1632. The Braintree Co. was headed by Rev. Thomas Hooker and the Lyon arrived in Boston, MA on 16 September 1632 with 123 passengers, including 50 children. Ozias traveled to the New World with his wife, Mary (nee) Woodward and their first child, also named William. William traveled with his wife, Elizabeth White, and their children, Christopher and Elizabeth. Ozias became a citizen of Hartford in 1639 or before, according to records in the Conn. State Library. Ozias Goodwin was one of the company from Hartford, Windsor, and Wethersfield, who on the 18th of April, 1659, signed (along with his brother William) an agreement to remove to Hadley in Massachusetts, "therein to inhabit and dwell, by the 29th of September come twelve months, which will be in the year 1660." That he sympathized with his brother and others who removed on account of the troubles in the church in Hartford is quite likely, but that he did not go to Hadley to dwell is evident from a vote recorded in Hadley at the end of 1661 determining that if Ozias did not move to Hadley by May 1662, he would forfeit his land grant there. Ozias died in Hartford before April 1681.

There are records of William and his wife selling property in England prior to moving to the colonies. In 1622 they sold a messuage (essentially a dwelling house), with cottage and two gardens, located in Barton, county of Bedford, to a John Warren. And again in 1629 William and his wife sold a messuage, a dove-house, a garden, two orchards, thirty-four acres of land, three acres of meadow, and twelve acres of pasture, with the appurtenances, in Worthend, Greenfield, Flitton, and Pulloxhill, also in the county of Bedford, to Sir William Brydges.

Both Ozias and William settled in Newtown Massachusetts, now called Cambridge. William having the funds from the sale of his property in England immediately set up residence in Newtown, near what is now Harvard University.


Twenty-first century

Hartford experienced problems as the population shrank 11 percent during the 1990s. Only Flint, Michigan Gary, Indiana Saint Louis and Baltimore experienced larger population losses during the decade. However, the population has increased since the 2000 Census. [4]

In 1997, the city lost its professional hockey franchise, the Hartford Whalers, to Raleigh, North Carolina despite an increase in season ticket sales and an offer of a new arena from the state. Currently a developer from Newton, Massachusetts who is also the city's largest property owner is working with the city to bring an NHL team back to Hartford and house them in a new largely publicly funded stadium. [3]

Starting in the late 1950s, as the suburbs ringing Hartford began to grow and flourish, the capital city began a long decline. Insurance giant Connecticut General (now CIGNA) moved to a new, modern campus in the suburb of Bloomfield. Constitution Plaza, at first hailed as a model of urban renewal, gradually became a concrete office park. Once-flourishing department stores such as Brown Thomson, Sage-Allen, and G. Fox & Co. all shut down as suburban malls such as Westfarms and Buckland Hills grew in popularity.

After World War II, many residents of Puerto Rico moved to Hartford and even today Puerto Rican flags can be found on cars and buildings all over the city. Former Hartford Mayor Eddie Pérez was born in Puerto Rico and moved to Hartford in 1969, when he was 12 years old.

On July 6, 1944, Hartford was the scene of one of the worst fire disasters in the history of the United States. The fire, which occurred at a performance of the Ringling Brothers and Barnum and Bailey Circus, became known as the Hartford Circus Fire.


On June 23, 2005, the U.S. Supreme Court decided Kelo v. City of New London, a case that redefined — and vastly expanded — the permissible boundaries of eminent domain in the United States. In 2000, the New London Development Corporation (NLDC), acting under the city’s authority, moved to seize over 100 privately held…

The Cherokee leader Elias Boudinot first came to Connecticut in the 1820s to seek a formal western education at the Foreign Mission School in Cornwall. Born as Gallegina Uwati into a prominent Cherokee family in 1802, he was sent north with the permission of tribal elders in hopes that his western education would help…


Hartford, Connecticut - History

The South West neighborhood is bounded by Fairfield Avenue to the east, the Wethersfield town line to the south, the West Hartford town line to the west and the Park River and New Britain Avenue to the north. Large farms covered much of the South West neighborhood through most of the 19th century. One of the largest no doubt belonged to James H. Smith, who purchased 40 acres of land in 1898 from the trustees of Trinity College. His home was built in 1901 on Fairfield Avenue, with land with outbuildings, including a carriage house, that boardered White Street between Fairfield and New Britain avenues. It was big news in 1912 when Smith sold the majority of his land upon retiring from the dairy business. The home remains today as a two-family residence. The sale of Smith's property opened up the area for development and Cedar Heights was born. Advertised as a "golden opportuity" to live in "one of Hartford's most aristocractic sections," homes began springing up to populate the neighborhood.

Development was spurred by the availability of public transit in the form of the trolley than ran from Retreat Avenue through Washington street, across New Britain avenue and along Fairfield Avenue to Cedar Hill Cemetery, as well as trolley lines along New Britain Avenue running to Elmwood (West Hartford). The first two decades of the 20th century saw tremendous development of new roads, sidewalks, single homes and multiple-family dwellings.

Cedar Hill Cemetery spans half the width of the neighborhood's southern border and provides a welcoming parklike environment for residents ( more ). Foster Heights park nearby offers a picnic area, spray pad and playground for kids in the area.

Highland Park also provides a playground, spray pad and athletic fields. The tract of land was once a part of Rocky Ridge Park which extended north of New Britain Avenue to Trinity College. Formerly a quarry with rock blastings that shooki foundations of homes along Zion Street and Fairfield Avenue, the quarrying ceased by 1906 after complaints from Trinity College and distinguished residents such as George Fairfield. There was also the realization that it was cheaper to buy stone than to quarry it. The park is named for Thomas J. Hyland, who worked tirelessly to create youth programs in the neighborhood.

In May of 1931, the Mary Ogden Avery Convalescent Hospital was opened as a unit of Hartford Hospital, at the junction of New Britain and Newington avenues. A U-shaped, brick building of Colonial design, it had separate wings for male and female patients. Outdoor gardens on 80 acres on land provided a tranquil setting. Prior to that, the land was occupied by Wildwood Farm when land was deeded over to Hartford Hospital in 1887. For years, the farm provided vegetables and dairy products to the hospital. Today, the facility is known as Avery Heights, and is retirement community that offers cottages and apartments, along with health care facilities and services.

HFD Unit Engine 9 was organized in 1900 as Chemical 1 then renamed Squad A in 1911. It was located at 43 Pearl Street in downtown. The unit was disbanded in 1928 then reorganized in 1931 at its new location, on New Britain Avenue at Forster Street as Engine 9, where it remains today.

One of two public schools in the neighborhood, Kennelly began its life as the Southwest School, a one-room school house built in 1844. It was not always used and went through a long period of vacancy. The school reopened full time in the late 1890s but was soon found to be too small to accommodate the growing number of students who needed to attend. A large, brick building was built in 1900 and, many years later, renamed the Eleanor B. Kennelly School.

Largely residential, the neighborhood is considered the quiet corner of the city. Crime rate is comparitively low, housing is stable and there is limited commercial activity. Of the restaurants in the neighborhood the Nutshell Cafe on White Street specializes in Portuguese and American fare, and Coyote Flaco, owned and operated by Alcibiades and Esperanza Cabrera serve authentic Mexican cuisine.

Move your cursor over any of the images below for a larger view.

Site design, hosting and maintenance by Karen O'Maxfield. Please report any bugs or problems to the web administrator.

Disclaimer: All names, dates and information have been derived from several resources. Information deemed reliable but not guaranteed. سياسة خاصة


كونيتيكت

تقع ولاية كونيتيكت ، وهي واحدة من المستعمرات الـ 13 الأصلية وواحدة من ولايات نيو إنجلاند الست ، في الركن الشمالي الشرقي من البلاد. في البداية مجتمع زراعي ، بحلول منتصف القرن التاسع عشر ، أصبحت صناعة المنسوجات والآلات هي الصناعات المهيمنة. The home of Eli Whitney and Samuel Colt, Connecticut was a leading manufacturer of guns and other arms. Today Connecticut lies in the midst of the great urban-industrial complex along the Atlantic coast, bordering Massachusetts to the north, Rhode Island to the east, Long Island Sound to the south and New York to the west. Hartford, in the north-central part of the state, is the capital. The state is roughly rectangular in shape, with a panhandle extending to the southwest on the New York border. وهي ثالث أصغر ولاية أمريكية في المنطقة ، لكنها تحتل المرتبة الأولى بين أكثر الولايات كثافة سكانية. The state’s greatest east-west length is about 110 miles, and its maximum north-south extent is about 70 miles. Connecticut takes its name from an Algonquian word meaning “land on the long tidal river.” “Nutmeg State,” 𠇌onstitution State” and “Land of Steady Habits” are all nicknames that have been applied to Connecticut.

Date of Statehood: January 9, 1788

عاصمة: هارتفورد

Population: 3,574,097 (2010)

Size: 5,544 square miles

Nickname(s):Constitution State Nutmeg State Land of Steady Habits Provisions State

شعار: Qui Transtulit Sustinet (“He who transplanted still sustains”)


Hartford, Connecticut - History

Originally known as 'Lords Hill', this area west of downtown Hartford was primarily farmland and named after one of the city's original settlers. In 1807 the Asylum for the Education and Instruction of Deaf and Dumb Persons was founded and its first student, Alice Cogswell, was enrolled. She is depicted in a commemorative statue, designed by Frances Wadsworth, that honors Thomas Hopkins Galludet, Mason F. Cogswell and Laurent Clerc, founders of the American School for the Deaf, which was the first of its kind in the country. Thereafter, the area was known as Asylum Hill.

In the early 1800s, the area was dominated by the 100-acre Imlay farm, which occupied most of the land from present-day Imlay Street west to the north branch of the Park River, and from Farmington Ave. south to the Park River. John Hooker and Francis Gillette purchased the farm in 1853 for the purpose of developing the real estate. They built their own homes and encouraged friends to do the same. As a result, a literary colony took hold that included Isabella Beecher Hooker, the Gillettes, Charles Dudley Warner, Harriet Beecher Stowe, Samuel Clemens, as well as reformers and activistts and others. The area became known as Nook Farm. The homes were designed by leading architects of the day and some still survive. Most notably, the homes of Samuel Clemens who, under the pseudonym Mark Twain penned some of his most notable works, including The Adventures of Tom Sawyer و A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court. Nook Farm also included the home of Harriet Beecher Stowe, best known as the author of كوخ العم توم. These, along with the Katherine Day House are museums open to the public.

The Hartford Fire Insurance Company was founded in 1810. Its symbol, the stag, was taken from the 16th century seal of the town of Hertford, England. The 10-acre campus on which it is located was the site of Hartford's first reservoir, and later the location of the original American School for the Deaf. One notable employee of The Hartford was Wallace Stevens who became a Pulitzer Prize-winning poet in 1955. Each day, he would walk the two miles from his home in the West End to work, often using the time to compose poetry. A group called "The Friends and Enemies of Wallace Stevens" commemorated this by having 13 granite stones with inscriptions from Stevens' poetry spaced along the route from Westerly Terrace to The Hartford.

The Hartford was the first major corporation to move into the neighborhood, followed by the Rossia Insurance Company and the Aetna Life Insurance Company. This generated a demand for lower-cost housing by clerical workers moving into the area.

As a residential area, the neighborhood has a mix of apartment buildings and multi-family houses. The Northside Institutions Neighborhood Alliance (NINA) is a nonprofit that was organized to foster the revitalization of the neighborhood. Over a dozen historic properties have been rehabilitated for home ownership.

A number of significant religious institutions are located in the neighborhood, including Asylum Hill Congregational Church which was organized in 1864 by a group of wealthy residents in the neighborhood. Designed by Irish-born architect Patrick C. Keely, its first pastor, Joseph Twichell, was a constant companion to and advisor of Samuel Clemens. The two men took very long walks–often, going the 8 miles to Talcott Mountain–to discuss life and phillosophy. Twichell is buried at Cedar Hill Cemetery.

Trinity Episcopal Church is built in the 19th Century Gothic Revival style. When it was constructed in the 1890s the congregation deliberately chose to abandon the centuries-old practice of subscription pews, marked with &ldquoowners&rdquo plaques. Wishing to be a more open church, welcoming all as equals, chairs were put in place and these remain today.

Patrick C. Keely also designed the original Cathedral of St. Joseph, a twin-towered brownstone structure that was built on the old Morgan estate and consecrated in 1879. On the last day of December,1956, the cathedral's wooden ceiling caught fire, windows shattered and the the roof caved in. Nothing of the structure could be salvaged and it was demolished. Reconstruction on the same site was begun almost immediately and the new cathedral was dedicated in1962.

Asylum Hill also was home to many educational institutions. The original Hartford Public High School was designed by architect George Keller, but was demolished in 1963 in favor of construction of Interstate 84. Today a stone marker honors the institution. It reads, in part:

On this site, from 1869 until 1963, stood the Hartford Public High School, the second oldest secondary school in the United States. Founded in 1638 as a Latin grammar School, it became in 1847, The Hartford Public English and Classical High School.

In 1897, the Sisters of Saint Joseph of Chambéry opened a two-room hospital that offered a refuge for immigrants who wanted to know that their faith and traditions would be understood and appreciated if they ever needed inpatient care. From this unassuming beginning has grown the medical facility now known as Saint Francis Hospital, the largest Catholic health care provider in New England. A teaching hospital, it is affiliated with the University of Connecticut Schools of Medicine and Dentistry.

Move your cursor over any of the images below for a larger view.

Site design, hosting and maintenance by Karen O'Maxfield. Please report any bugs or problems to the web administrator.

Disclaimer: All names, dates and information have been derived from several resources. Information deemed reliable but not guaranteed. سياسة خاصة


شاهد الفيديو: Driving Downtown - Hartford 4K - Connecticut USA